Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DIY "Cocoon" Blanket Tutorial

Hey guys! Long time, no blog! Sorry for the long break, things should get back to normal soon! A little while ago I decided I wanted to try to make what I call a "Cocoon Blanket". Basically, it's two pieces of fleece sewn together and sewn down three sides to make a little sack. Let me tell you guys, It is the COZIEST thing ever!!!! Now I don't have to worry about my feet slipping out the bottom like my normal blankets do. Keep in mind I am a beginner at sewing, and I even sewed through my finger while trying to fit the thick fabric in my machine... such an amateur mistake, I know. Anyways, enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!  




Materials:

  • At least 2 yards of a fleece fabric, or however long the person is that you are making the blanket for. I found the most darling whales:)
  • A second layer fabric; I found this pre-sewn micro fleece fabric at Jo Anns and it worked perfectly.
  • Fabric Scissors
  • Straight pins
  • Sewing Machine or needle and thread


Step 1: Lay out your fabrics, with your bottom layer on the top of the stack.


Step 2: Cut and fold the edges of the decorative layer and pin them in place. 


Use your sewing machine or hand to sew THREE sides of the blanket. Leave one side, ideally a shorter one, unsewn. You can hem the final edge so that the raw edge is folded over. A word of advice: If using a sewing machine, use a strong needle, like a 16/100 and make sure there is a lot of space behind your sewing machine. I had three perfectly good needles snapped and a needle through my finger twice because of this issue. But that injury is another story. 


At last, your blanket is complete! Don't you just want to hop inside of it? I think I'll go do that right now:)

xoxo Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment