Sunday, January 13, 2013

DIY Heart Pillow Case Tutorial


With Valentine's Day coming up and a free afternoon on my agenda, I thought it'd be fun to sew my first pillowcase. I had a couple of euro sham pillows waiting to be covered, so I thought this heart pillow would be perfect. It was definitely a beginner accessible project but depending on your skill level with zippers, it could take you about an hour or two. 


Supplies

Fabric
I used a light flannel material. It stayed in place and is super soft! Since my pillow was 24'' x 24'', I used 2 yards of white for the background and 1/2 yard for the heart.
Zipper
Subtract 6 inches from your total width. For example, I used an 18'' zipper since my width was 24 inches. 
Measuring Tool
Fabric Scissors
Seam Ripper
Iron
Chalk


Step 1. Measure your fabric so that you have two panels measuring the exact dimensions of your pillow. 


Step 2 mark your fabric 3 inches on either side of the width where your zipper will be placed.


Step 3 sew until the first mark, making sure to back stitch both times. Use a basting stitch until you reach the second mark. Use a regular stitch to complete the side. 


Step 4 Press the basted seams open.


Step 5 Install you zipper foot and pin the zipper in place with the right side facing down. Sew a rectangle completely around your zipper, then remove the basting stitch with a seam ripper. 


Step 6 Once your zipper is complete, continue to pin and sew the two adjacent sides together. 


Step 7 Inside out the Pillow case and iron out the wrinkles. 


Step 7 Now it's time for the heart! Use the chalk to outline the shape you'd like and cut it out.


Step 8 You may need to press the heart after cutting it out. Next, pin and place the heart on your pillow case. You can choose to pin and sew on the inside of the pillow for a clean stitch or the outside for a homemade touch. 


Step 9 Sew the heart onto the pillow case. Be sure that you are not sewing through the other side of the pillow case!


Step 10 Finally, sew up the final edge of your pillow, making sure to backstitch. Insert your pillow, and you're done! 

This video helped me get started.

I hope you enjoyed, and good luck! 

xoxo Morgan





No comments:

Post a Comment